LONG ISLAND GOLDEN RETRIEVER RESCUE
WALL OF FAME 2018-2019
GOLDEN GIFTS WALL OF FAME
If you have been following Long Island Golden Retriever Rescue for any time, you will have noticed that we have, in addition to taking dogs from Long Island, the 5 boroughs and slightly north of that … taken an increased number of dogs from Turkey. As of today we have rescued 43 dogs from the shelters of Turkey. The first group of five dogs arrived on a cargo flight of 18 dogs. Recently, we have been getting two at a time. Most of our dogs from Turkey have arrived in good health. We did get a young dog in the first group who had a dislocated hip. After surgery she did beautifully and when you see her run you cannot even image that she ever had a serious hip problem. People have asked about this; please know that we never leave a domestic dog without a home. We are thrilled to be able to help these dogs from Turkey as well.
As I look back at the past 18 years that I have been with LIGRR I am amazed at how our group has grown and how we have been true to our original mission statement (written before I became a member of LIGRR.)
Our Mission - Long Island Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc. (LIGRR) is a non-profit organization operated exclusively by volunteers dedicated to improving the quality of life of Golden Retrievers who are neglected, abused, or abandoned. Services are also provided to owners who can no longer care for their Golden Retriever. It is our mission to provide veterinary care and loving adoptive homes for any Golden in need - no matter whether the dog is a young puppy or a senior citizen.
Each dog that comes in is so special to us and each one is treated as if it were our own dog. The members of our board work very hard to find a good match for the dog, therefore making a great match for the adoptive family as well.
This year, I evaluated a strong and pushy dog at a local municipal shelter who said hello by body slamming me and pinching me gently with his teeth. To say that this was not going to be the easiest placement was an understatement. At about the same time I received an e-mail from a previous adopter telling me of the passing of his dog. He was very clear that he was not ready to welcome a new dog into his home yet. Thankfully, he was willing to foster this energetic dog and get him on the road to better manners. As luck would have it, a close friend of his took a liking to this dog, and now has an amazing life with his new family.
Several years ago we were asked to take 2 young dogs that were living in a home that was not a good place for them. At six months they had not been outside and were not house broken. Two months later we took their mom and litter mate. Four young dogs are now in loving homes, great right? After 3 years the same owner called us to take the 2 remaining dogs in the house. Many people shed tears knowing that we had finally gotten them all.
Toby arrived here from Turkey with 3 badly broken teeth and a likely infection as a result of problem teeth. He now is free of pain and enjoying life in this country with a loving family.
- How do I do this? It is not "me" it is "we".
- How do we do this? The LIGRR Board is a small group of tireless people who do it all: dog transports, airport pick-ups, fund raising, fostering, home visiting, dog evaluating and more.
- How do we do this? With the help of our Golden Family who support our efforts by adopting, fund raising, donating, volunteering and more.
- Why do we do this? The wag of the tail says it all.
We need you now as much as we needed you 18 years ago when I joined this group. Please continue to support our work in any way that you can so that, so that together we can continue to support the breed of dogs that is so near and dear to our hearts.
Here are the Donation Categories and your "Thank You" Gifts:
- $500 & up Donation — "Rescue Hero" — Soft throw blanket with LIGRR logo to wrap yourself up & keep you warm all winter (back by popular demand)
- $250 Donation — "Best of Show" — Large beach towel with LIGRR logo (also back by popular demand)
- $100 Donation — "Leader of the Pack" — Puppy Cakes dog biscuit mix
- $50 Donation — "Faithful Companion" — Golden Retriever Kitchen towel
- $25 Donation — "Good Dog" — LIGRR cloth shopping bag
Best wishes for the upcoming holiday season to our LIGRR Family (both human and Golden). We have the BEST adopters in the world! Thank you for your continuing support, both in providing exemplary homes for our rescued Goldens, and for the financial assistance which enables us to continue on our mission of saving lives.
Donations may be made by:
Check payable to LIGRR and mailed to:
Long Island Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc.
P.O. Box 566
Plainview, New York 11803-0566
Additional ways to help LIGRR:
- Donate your car - LINK: https://www.donatecarusa.com/charity/long-island-golden-retriever-rescue/?template=affiliate - PHONE: 1-888-205-3420
- Amazon Smile - Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice (LIGRR). - https://smile.amazon.com/ - sign up today
- Walk your Dog for LIGRR -Don't just take your dog for a walk...Take your Walk for a Dog! - http://www.wooftrax.com/
Rescue Hero - $500 and up donation
|Vicki and Ted Wender||Susan and Patrick Vitek|
|In memory of Lenny Diamond|
Best in Show - $250 and up donation
|Bill James||Lee and Jack Lipman||Paul and Karen Coco|
Leader of the Pack - $100 and up donation
|In Memory of Lois Valbuena||John Garvey||Lawrence and Cindy Zabinski||Barbara Robinson|
|Marjorie and Joel Wecksell||Melissa Starin||Marilyn O'Leary||John and Kathryn Kollegger|
|Robert and Tara Morris||Gerard Picardi||Susan and Gary Nappo||Nancy and Ron Israeli|
|Richard and Pamela Rubinstein||Jonathan Maller||Barbara and Christopher Krucher||Dennis and Doreen Daly|
Faithful Companion - $50 and up donation
|Shawn and Julia Kucharski||David and Diane Dimitri||Jessica Bollenbach||Virginia and Dominick Carotenuto||Ann Marie and Brian Ward|
|Michael and Eileen Dicristofaro||Dwight and Kathleen Burton|
Good Dog - $25 and up donation
|Victoria and Wilson Quinones||In Memory of Patty||Robert and Amy Rubin||Carol Keegan Kane||Caroline Barry||Connie Spellaman|
|Julie McCain||Paul Logan||Marc and Laurie Tand||Thomas ands Margretta Crowley||Robert and Dolores O'Brien||Christopher Gattuso|